Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Reveal: A Bitchin' Kitchen.

And now, the moment America has all been waiting for (and by America, I mean my 19 followers, one of whom is my own sister.) The "Sunday Afternoon Project That Bled Into Thursday?" Drum roll! Well, I was painting the kitchen. (I know, not very exciting). From buttery yellow to a soft, milky blue, the walls above the chair rail received a new breath of life and fresh air ala Galactica Semi-gloss. While I was on a roll (or a paint roller for that matter), I took the opportunity to change out some accessories, simplify the window treatment, and swapped out the open shelving full of glasses for more decorative items that complimented the color scheme. I'm really digging the colors and the cozy, yet clean, and beachy feeling you get when you walk in the room. Clearly, the room is not finished. I still need to hang some artwork and try a few things, but I couldn't keep you waiting and guessing any longer.

I've always called my design style "modical" (Modern meets Nautical, aka how do you have the feeling of the beach, without being at the beach, and without having literal theme rooms/wooden lighthouses, life preservers, and a light house border running the circumference of your space. You could also think of it as "Urban Beach Cottage." I try to achieve this idea through soft colors that remind me of the ocean, sea glass, sand, and the faded facades of white washed beach cottages. I like to mix textures, materials, and the old with the new. For example, I love having the modern, stainless steel island in the kitchen with the antique Baker's Cabinet that used to hold toys in my childhood bedroom. I really like the juxtaposition of the hard and soft elements, both serving their own unique purpose in the space. When I think of a beach house, I think of a comfortable collection of family treasures, found objects, and mismatched pieces that now have a new life. It's more about creating a feeling than a look, because let's face it, I don't live at the beach. Taking the idea too far would be the same as decking this place out in a Southwest theme. I mean, who wouldn't want a living room full of dream catchers, cacti, and paintings of coyotes and wolves howling at a blue corn moon? I want my guests in my home to feel comfortable, safe, and like they've stepped into a home away from home. That same feeling you get when you walk into a beach cottage. I hope you like it as much as I do. Readers, let me know what you think. Now, to go scrub the Galactica semi-gloss off of my fingernails.





(Click on photos for high resolution)



Here are a few Before Shots:




Who knew 17 bucks worth of paint, some rearranged accessories, and a few extra evenings after work could make such a difference? It just shows you, folks. You don't have to go crazy to get crazy, big results. Paint really does go a long way, and shopping in your own home can lead to a really cost-effective makeover. The best part? With the savings from this project, you can head to the real beach house. Paint on my Brothers and Sisters, Paint On.

Cheers,

Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment